Sunday, July 17, 2011


Thursday, June 17 (written about lunch time)
I just woke up from four hours of sleep/listening to two of the other three guys in this room snore all night (one saws logs, the other one saws complete forests).  I need some sleep.  Late last night we flew into Entebbe, Uganda.  While we were still at the airport in Entebbe I realized quickly that they do things a little differently than in the US.  What tipped me off was the big African guy wearing a military uniform and carrying a loaded automatic rifle standing in the terminal telling us we needed to hurry up and move it along.  Yes sir.  After the airport & airplane experience, all I wanted to do was sleep.  I wasn't able to, hopefully tonight.  This morning we began our bus trip to Tanzania.  Breakfast was great, the morning "Call to Worship" by the Muslims--not so much.
Our room in the Emmaus Guest House, Kampala, Uganda
The Emmaus Guest House, taken the following morning
Loading up after the first night to head to Tanzania
 You can see it on TV, or read about it in National Geographic but until you see poverty like this in person, you're in for a culture shock.  All I saw for miles and miles [on the drive from the airport to our guest house] was people who have nothing.
We got to see the people of Uganda today.  I bet ninety-nine percent of them are destitute.  It seems that none of them have a nice thing to call their own.  They put three people on a motorcycle that barely holds one person, or pile seven people into a compact car designed for four.  Some of the people seem friendly, but that guy pointing his finger and saying things with an angry look on his face wasn't.  Those who ride motorcycles around here are brave.  They weave in and out of traffic with reckless abandonment.  It's crazy.

We stopped, while still in Uganda, at the equator.  That was really cool.  My favorite part of the stop was this really cute kid who looked like having his picture taken.  There were a few shops there and I found a few things worth getting: A necklace with the Ugandan colors, a coaster set that is hand-painted with different animals, and some kind of stone that was cut into an interesting shape.  I forgot what it's called, but I know the lady said it was a "love" something or other.
Some random guy.
This kid liked having his picture taken.

The other side of the road from where we were, interesting view.
Not too long after leaving the Equator, we stopped for lunch.
It left something to be desired.
Sarah ordered Fish & Chips, that's what she got!
I assumed the chicken I ordered would come with fries.  It didn't.  Nor did it come with chicken on the bones!  I think I got maybe three full bites of chicken from that huge chunk of bones.  Oh well, the waitress got me fries and a cold Coke!
Getting nearer and nearer

Somewhere on the drive to Kayanga
Same day-6:20 PM
We finally arrived in Kayanga, Karagwe, Tanzania, forty-eight hours after I left home.  I'm guessing, but I think our team has covered somewhere around 8500 miles.  That's quite a trek in forty-eight hours.  Update on our missing team members, they should be joining us in the next couple days!  Praise God!  I was so worried they wouldn't make it, and I'm so happy they are!
Unloading, finally!

Billy and Elias getting reacquainted (Billy came last year)
The people here in Kayanga seem very friendly.  It seems that they are happy to have us.  We got off the paved road a long time ago.  I'm surprised that there is a town such as this so far out in the woods.  Though it is a small town, they have as many things as the larger towns do.  This doesn't mean that they have the conveniences that we have in the US.

Tristan and his new buddy

Raegan and a few of the kids we would come to see regularly
Readying for our first night in our temporary home.

 To be continued...

1 comment:

  1. "Yes, sir." Haha. :) It looks and sounds incredible. Can't wait to read and see more.